Take your plants home plastic free.
POSIpot© is our answer to stem the tide of the 100’s of millions of plastic plant pots (and labels) being incinerated, sent to landfill or exported across the world to be ‘recycled’, all simply to transport a plant from shop to garden to be planted. Allowing growers to re-use plastic pots again and again, resulting in millions of plastic pots not being made in the first place. Also, this means plant buyers don’t have to dispose of pots or store them for years and years! POSIpot can be planted in the ground or put in to your waste paper recycling.
2019 is our ‘plastic year zero‘ and we have taken a stand that ‘from 2019 it is now illegal to sell single use plastic as a product or packaging‘.
POSIpot© is not a pot to grow plants in. It is a specialist transportation sleeve and comes with a integrated compostable plant label which locks the POSipot together.
POSIpot, take control of your single use plastics!
POSIpots are proving themselves to be a real hit, not just with our customers, but with coverage on such programmes as Gardeners’ World and the ITN tonight program. POSIpot is a simple but effective means of answering customer demand for ‘no more plastic pots!‘ 90% of plastic pots are used simply to transport your plants from point of sale to planting. Usually planting happens within 1 to 2 hours of the customer returning home, POSIpots shows your customers your commitment to taking responsibility for what is a un-recyclable and unnecessary element of purchasing plants.
The plant buying public are also seeing through the phasing in of taupe or coloured pots… the technology or money isn’t there to sort them and the huge majority of these pots are either incinerated, put to land fill or exported across the world to be dealt with.. then, more likely sent back to us which is happening as these countries don’t want our waste!
We do not need the 500 million pots made and distributed every year in the UK. If we, as growers, work to re-position plastic pots as a purely an ‘in house’ tool by using POSIpot, only a third of those pots would need to be produced in the first place.
- POSIpot© are flat packed, self assembled and used at point of sale. Our nursery tend to have about 20 of each style ready to go.
- The plant must be well rooted as you tip out the plant from the pot.
- You can write the plant name on the wooden label, which is a coffee stirer, or directly onto the POSIpot© if required. We have a customer self labelling system on site. No more single use plastic labels.
- You will need to develop a internal recycling procedure for your shop or nursery including washing pots and disposing of broken plastic in a responsible way.
- POSIpots can be used for round or square forms pots… for round pots you don’t crease the sides.
- POSIpots are ideal for web sales, we put coffee stirrers in the 4 corners then wrap the plant and POSIpot in newspaper then box.. it is the best plastic free method we have found.
As growers ourselves it has meant nothing has changed in the growing process, we still use plastic pots.. we now have a robust process in place to sort, wash, store and reuse the plastics we have. We sell our plants in a busy shop and at time hectic market setting, we either pre-make a stack of POSIpots or make between customers.. it is really easy and a joy to do.
We have small sample packs for sale or we can visit you or you are welcome to make a visit to us, we are based in Faversham, Kent. We are a specialist nursery and garden centre with strong links to the School we are based . Edibleculture has been running for around 5 years and we are constantly experimenting with new sustainable and ethical processes. We sell peatfree, pesticide free and proudly plastic free.
Reduce, reuse and then recycle.. Buy POSIpots now!